Reasons Why You Should Do Waterproofing Under Your Tiles
Why should you waterproof underneath the tiles?
- Water damage is prevented
- The longevity of the tiles increases
- Mold and mildew growth are prevented
- It adds value to the property
- Owners are given peace of mind
As a homeowner, you are constantly striving to maintain the optimal condition of your house. However, one area that is often overlooked is the waterproofing underneath your tiles. It’s important to note that there are numerous benefits to waterproofing under your tiles that are worth considering.
In this blog post, we will discuss some of the key reasons why waterproofing your tile surfaces is crucial.
Water Damage is Prevented
Waterproofing under your tiles is crucial in preventing water damage, which can occur when water seeps through the grout lines and damages the subfloor and other areas below the tile surface. Not only can this cause costly repairs, but it may also require a complete tile replacement.
By taking the proactive step of waterproofing under your tiles, you can effectively prevent water damage and safeguard your investment.
The Longevity of the Tiles Increases
Waterproofing underneath your tiles can significantly increase the lifespan of your tiles by preventing water from penetrating through the grout lines and causing damage such as loosening or cracking over time. This type of damage can be quite expensive and time-consuming to repair, often necessitating the replacement of entire tiles.
Fortunately, by taking proactive steps to waterproof under your tiles, you can prevent this type of damage and effectively prolong the life of your tile surfaces. Waterproofing creates a barrier between the subfloor and the tile surface, preventing water from seeping through and causing damage. This ensures that your tiles remain secure and stable, without suffering the wear and tear that comes with exposure to moisture.
By doing so, your investment in tile surfaces will last longer, ultimately saving you both time and money on costly replacements or repairs.
Mold and Mildew Growth are Prevented
Another reason to waterproof under your tiles is to prevent mold and mildew growth. When water seeps through the grout lines and into the subfloor, it creates the perfect environment for mold and mildew to grow. This can cause health problems for you and your family, as well as damage to your home. By waterproofing under your tiles, you can prevent mold and mildew growth and keep your home safe and healthy.
It Adds Value to the Property
Potential buyers are often willing to pay a premium for properties that offer added protection against water damage, and they may view waterproofed tile surfaces as a desirable feature. This can make your home more attractive on the market, potentially leading to a faster sale at a higher price point.
Moreover, waterproofing your tiles can enhance the overall appearance and functionality of your home, adding to its overall appeal. A well-maintained home with beautiful and durable tile surfaces can be a major selling point for potential buyers, and the added value of waterproofing can be a major factor in their decision to choose your property over others on the market.
Preventing Tile Damage
Water can cause significant damage to tiles, leading to costly repairs or replacement. Water can seep through tiles and cause them to crack or lift, creating an unsightly and potentially dangerous environment. Waterproofing under tiles can prevent water from penetrating through to the underlying structure, protecting the tiles and ensuring they remain in good condition for longer.
Owners are Given Peace of Mind
By waterproofing under your tiles, you can enjoy peace of mind, knowing that your tile surfaces are protected from water damage, mold, and mildew. This protection can reduce the stress and anxiety that often come with worrying about potential damage or costly repairs. You can relax and enjoy your home without having to constantly monitor for signs of water damage or potential leaks. With waterproofing in place, you can rest assured that your investment in tile surfaces is well-protected and will last for years to come.
How Do You Do Waterproofing Underneath Your Tiles?
Waterproofing under tiles is a specialized task that requires the expertise of a professional waterproofing contractor. Here are the general steps involved in the process:
- Surface Preparation: The surface under the tiles must be clean, dry, and free from any dirt, grease, or loose particles. The contractor will prepare the surface by cleaning and smoothing it, ensuring that it is ready for the waterproofing process.
- Applying Primer: A waterproofing primer is then applied to the surface. The primer helps to improve the adhesion of the waterproofing membrane to the surface, ensuring a strong and durable bond.
- Waterproofing Membrane: The waterproofing membrane is then applied to the surface using a trowel or roller. The membrane is typically a liquid or sheet-based product designed to prevent water from penetrating through to the underlying structure. The contractor will ensure that the membrane is applied evenly and covers the entire surface.
- Reinforcement: In some cases, reinforcement may be required to strengthen the waterproofing membrane. The contractor may use a reinforcing fabric or mesh to ensure that the membrane is strong enough to withstand any potential stress or movement.
- Tile Installation: Once the waterproofing membrane is installed, tiles can be installed on top of it. The tiles will be installed using an adhesive that is compatible with the waterproofing membrane.
There are different reasons why you should do waterproofing under your tiles. This is an important step in maintaining the longevity and safety of your tile surfaces. A waterproof contractor can help you with these services. Here at Flooring Solutions, we can provide that for you! Contact us today!